<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 26, 2003

another day has dawned.

LOST IN DC

Today I took the metro down into the district for Starbucks training. Unfortunately I went to the wrong location. Then I got bad directions to the right location. So I walked about 3 miles (in circles) and finally found the right location...I had passed it three times. Lot's of good information and cheesy videos. My idea of a good time, so it was pleasant. Class ended early so I had planned to check out a second-hand store (great name...Deja New) and a record store, but thought...let's just get home to the family. And so it was.

WHERE TO LIVE

I've been thinking a lot lately about where the best place to live might be (for the planting of simple churches). I'm very uncomfortable in the middle class suburbs. I'd love to find a relatively safe little lower middle class neighborhood (i.e. where the Rains live in Cincy), but thus far I've struck out in looking for such an enclave. If one existed in this area, I honestly think we'd be priced out of it. So we're looking in these somewhat rural areas (nothing is truly rural here) and finding some subsidized housing that we might be able to live in (if commuting and other issues were resolved). But it is all either 1) suburban or 2) rural. Neither of those are really what we're looking for...but perhaps we're not looking for the right thing. City dwellers around here are generally upper middle class people. Lot's of toys and struggles with materialism....battles I don't know if I have the heart to face (not to mention that at my income last year, I don't fit in at all). There are other sections where we could look. Baltimore is one big cheap ghetto. But it's extremely unsafe for our 1 (soon to be 2) kids. Not to mention the atrocious state of their public school system.

Perhaps rural is better. Phil mentioned that often times more rural communities aren't as accepting of new people with new ideas. He's probably right. But then I question if anyone here is truly rural...people who live in Frederick MD (A rural city of 50k...listed on epodunk.com) commute to D.C., Baltimore, even northern Virginia. They are hardly homestead country folk. But who wants to try to forge authentic community with a bunch of people who spend 3 hours commuting 5 (often 6) days a week?

Such is the dialogue in my head. I can't make sense of it honestly. Feel free to post comments and discuss it a bit...I'd love to read your thoughts.

Off to bed I go now (I am SO old...it's barely 10 O'Clock).


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?