<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 30, 2003

"The church capable of 'such little' narratives [the stories of those oppressed and inconsequential to society] will need all the resources it can muster - particularly those resources from the past that give us the confidence to counter the false universality of the market with universality that depends on the fact that Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead. The worship of such a God surely requires that the church not forget those who have become expendable, too poor even to be debtors, and therefore from the markets perspective "nonpersons." The worship of such a God means that we must pray and pray fervently for the reconciliation of Catholics and Protestants, as our very division wounds not only ourselves but the world itself."
"Through the faithful worship of a God so known, Christians can not only survive postmodernism but even flourish."

from Stanley Hauerwas book "A Better Hope" p. 45 (The Church in the Time Called America)

my thoughts lately:

hospitality

"the least of these"

the widow, the poor

I went into the district (see previous post) last week. I saw a homeless man sleeping in the corner of the metro station at Friendship Heights. I was a bit startled, then frightened (he was leaning in a corner facing me, bent at the waist, hist arms and head hanging down - his arms almost touching the concrete - and he was snoring). I did nothing...I was running late. I walked by him twice (because I got lost), but did nothing.

**God, give me the strength, discernment, courage, and wisdom but most of all give me the capacity to love the "least of these."**

what 'little narratives' have we missed today?


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?