<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

How we doin? and other cheesy lines  

I find myself day in and day out picking some cheesy joke and running into the ground with customers all day long. And they all laugh, smile, or something to that effect. Some of them mean it and others are simply being courteous. Every wednesday I say something like "well, we're half-way there aren't we?!" monday: Ready for a good week? Hope this gets you off to a good start!" Random rainy cold day "Are you enjoying this balmy weather we're having?" -consistently gets great laughs...gosh I'm funny!!!-

I say all of this to simply confirm that I am made to host a children's show. I'm cheesy, energetic when caffeineted, and very very very repetitive. All of these are required for the aforementioned position. As a bonus, my voice cracks a bit from time to time (it never really stopped, but it is much better than when I was 11), and the general tone of my voice is comparable to several muppets. I say this not in a self-loathing way...I see it as an assett.

On a more serious note, lately melissa and I have been a bit lonely...pretty normal stuff really. But what I've realized is that for the first time in my life I have to build relationships without the crutch of a conventional church. See a conventional church facilitates this by creating an environment not too different from high school or college, where you can fall in with a crowd of sorts... easily land with people like you who are looking for friends or at least acquaintances. And since we land with similar people we automatically like them (unless we don't like ourselves at all...and even then I think we like others who are like us). Voila, instant party invitees. Or inviters. But if you step outside of that, it's very refreshing and difficult. Strange too. I don't think Church as we've Known it intends for any of these "benefits." It's just kind of an unintentional perk.

I hope that in the end at least 2 things will happen.
1. I'll become close friends with people who are very different from me. We may not share interests. We may not like each other sometimes. But we will be friends anyway. We will share a story. THE Story.
2. I'll become friends with people who are like me...except they do not share my faith (since I have now traveled outside a Christian circle and into the real world). They may or may not be interested in my faith. But we will like the same bands, tv shows, games, or something else trivial and perhaps enjoyable.

and I'm sure combinations of the two will also occur.

That's what I'm thinkin'. What do you think? We ARE half-way through the week.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?