<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

some thoughts along the way 

Will and I were messaging this week and he brought out a thought in me that I'll explore here. It's funny because it wasn't really what he was getting at, but thanks anyway will, for in some way prompting it.

many of us have talked about re-imagining paradigms for what it means to be the church. I don't fundamentally disagree with that at all. I think it's a healthy and organic process. That said, sometimes I have considered this the only option. Greg H recently posted about two groups that church as we've known it often fails to reach 1) those who would never set foot or consider anything called church and 2) those who often have given much of themselves and have in some way grown beyond church as we've known it. He went further but I'll leave it there. I agree with the two categories. What I have assumed is that the most logical and perhaps only option for those in group2 is to move into a new paradigm for ministry or at least take an extended break from it and then probably move into a new paradigm. I'm starting to see another way - not to discredit or cheapen a new paradigm as a valid choice/option.
The other choice is to learn/develop new ways to exist within the old paradigm. For example, where once one may have a been a visible and obvious "Christian Leader," one may need to learn what it is to be part of the body without such visibility. That's a concrete example. Other times I think it could be much more internal and perhaps inperceivable to those around us.
I'm kind of just feeling this one out - i'd love to hear thoughts on this.

in other news:Melissa is in Syracuse apartment hunting and I am learning the joys of being here ALL DAY with the boys BY MYSELF. It's been interesting. The house is a wreck, haven't packed much, but we're bonding...I'll be glad to have melissa home tomorrow though!


Comments:
Tim-
Interesting thoughts. I think for those in group 2 who feel to go back and serve the body would do see awesome things happen. Yes, if we sit among the "common" people and not seek position like we have experienced and serve, amazing things will happen . As we live out what GOD is doing in us it will spill into others, etc etc. We dont have to fall into the :mold to say" but to just serve the body and "leadership" I think GOD can absolutely use that. We are asking the same question(s)

ernie
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?